We don’t all have the opportunity to live freely and comfortably where we were born. And many crave a better life and the chance for an excellent education for themselves or their children. If you or your spouse want to move to the USA to start a life there, then you need certified USCIS translation of birth certificates. If you got married in a non-English speaking country, then you’ll also need your marriage certificates translated.

USCIS certified translation of birth certificates and other documents are required for all types of people seeking to relocate to the United States of America, including children, students, workers, and all types of immigrants.

Certified translations for USCIS, students

People immigrate to other countries for a variety of reasons. Whatever your reason, here’s what you need to know about translating documents for USCIS.

Why a USCIS Certified Translation?

If you’re interested in immigrating to the United States, USCIS translation of birth certificates and other documents are necessary. For example, if you are enrolling yourself or your foreign-born child in school, or getting a visa, a social security card, a passport, or any other identification form, you will be required to submit USCIS certified translated document(s).

No matter the country, visas, passports, and birth certificates are all legal documents. Thus, you cannot translate them yourself or have a friend or family member do it for you—not even if they are fluent in many languages or are professional translators themselves.

Translating them yourself or having a family member translate them for you does not comply with USCIS requirements.

uscis translation certification

Although it may be tempting to ask a nephew or other family member to translate your legal documents for USCIS, that’s a bad idea. USCIS requires certified translations.

USCIS Translation Requirements

So again, why pay someone for USCIS translation of birth certificates and other documents? A birth certificate or any legal document translation has to be accompanied by a legal certification document.

In other words, it must be a certified translation. “Certified translation” means that the translation comes with a signed certification letter provided by a translation company swearing that a qualified translator performed the service and is a correct and accurate translation of the original document.

Need to Translate Your Documents for USCIS?

Get your free quote for USCIS translation services.
Get Your Free Quote. Click Here.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ USCIS Policy Manual says in section 11.3 regarding Foreign Language Documents and Translations:

All documents submitted in support of an application or petition must include complete translation into English. In addition, there must be a certification from the translator indicating that the translation is complete and accurate and attesting to his or her competence as a translator.

If you fail to provide either the translated document or certificate of translation, there will be a delay with your immigration process, or your application will be rejected altogether. Your file or solicitation may also be rejected if there are any errors or mistakes found in the translation, which is why it’s always best to trust a professional translator with the right credentials.

uscis translation of birth certificate

It’s always best to entrust your translations for USCIS to a professional translator rather than risk delays and complications due to submitting uncertified translations. USCIS translation certification will help you avoid problems.

A USCIS approved translation of your birth certificate should include the following information:

  • Full Name (First and Last)
  • Date of Birth
  • Place of Birth
  • Parents’ Full Names
  • A seal that verifies it’s an official record from the office where it was issued

Essentially, you will need to provide a photocopy of the original document and the certified translation copy in English.

The translation must include every single part of the original document, including any dashes, signatures, stamps, etc. And it should visually match the same format as well. So, if the official seal is on the bottom right of the original, then the translated version should also have it.

If some text on the document is unreadable, it should be marked “illegible.”


Your USCIS translations of birth certificates and other documents must be certified, but they do not necessarily have to be notarized. According to the official rules of the government, a translation does not need notarization. It may be required when sending documents from abroad. But it’s not necessary for supporting documents for immigrant visa or residency applications, or citizenship.

Translations: Don’t Break the Rules

As mentioned before, you don’t want to submit documents that do not comply with the USCIS requirements. Doing so will lead to delays and possibly additional costs.

Be sure to understand the current requirements of USCIS and make sure to request that your translation provider complies with those requirements when it provides you with translations.

At IVANNOVATION we frequently provide translations of legal documents such as driver’s licenses, birth certificates, police records, marriage certificates, bank records, and so on for our customers to use for their immigration needs.

It’s important to note that IVANNOVATION is not a law firm. We are in no way authorized to provide you with legal advice for your immigration proceedings.

But we can provide certified translations for use at the USCIS office.

What About Driver’s License Translations?

Learn here about how to get a driver’s license translation for the DMV.

Besides USCIS Translation of Birth Certificates, What Other Documents Often Need Translation?

Any supporting document required of you or your spouse for the green card or visa process, not written in English, must be accompanied by a certified translation. Passports do not need translation, but the following documents may need certified translations if requested:

  • Bank Statements
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce Papers
  • Police Records

Like the Article?

Share with all your friends by clicking on a social sharing button below.

How Much Do USCIS Translation Services Cost?

In the translation market, different languages have different translation rates. That means that the cost of USCIS translation of birth certificates and other legal documents can vary depending on several factors.

To get a quote for the cost of translating your birth certificate, scan or photograph the document and send it to us via our quotes page. After we look at your file, we can provide you with a free quote. Then with your approval, we can start translating right away and email you the final translation. We can also mail a physical document to you accompanied by a signed certification letter.

Getting certified translations for your USCIS required documents is essential for a foreigner immigrating to the United States. Some of us at IVANNOVATION are immigrants, and we have all lived abroad. We understand the challenges of living in another country. That’s why we are eager to make the transition smoother for our customers who find themselves away from home.

USCIS Translation: Certified!

Translate Your Documents for USCIS with IVANNOVATION
Get Your Free Quote Now

If you need USCIS certified translation services, please contact us here, and we’ll respond promptly with a quote and turnaround time.

Gisel Olivares, Content Editor + Creator + Curator at her online business, GeeOlives. GeeOlives provides social media management, copywriting and editing, web customization and development, and graphic design, among other related services to small businesses, nonprofits, and sustainable brands. She has a love for languages, traveling, social media, and writing. She is fluent in English and Spanish, and still working on perfecting her French while living in France for more than three years.

Leave a Reply